[Vm-dev] VM crash in the Squeak3D plugin, the sequeal

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Jan 9 14:03:54 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jan 09, 2020 at 12:57:23PM +0100, St??phane Rollandin wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have had a report that the code for my Balloon3D-based game (at
> http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/guardians.htm) does not work at all on
> 64-bit images.
>
> The report was about a linux system, and indeed I could confirm that it
> also applies on Windows.
>
> I have uploaded a ready-to-crash trunk image here, with instructions:
> http://www.zogotounga.net/swap/crash-64.zip
>
> Note that no crash dump is produced.

Hi Stef,

I am fairly sure that the Squeak3D plugin was never updated for 64-bit
platforms, so it probably will not work on any 64-bit VM.

Updating a plugin like this mostly requires finding and fixing all the
places where pointer values are assigned to C int variables. For most
of the plugins, this involved some changes to both the platform support
code (C code in git) as well as to the plugin in VMMaker.

Is anyone interested in taking on a worthwhile VM project with manageable
scope? Updating the Squeak3D plugin would be a good project. I can give
some tips and advice if anyone wants to give it a try.