[Vm-dev] Need an Alien-Core-eem.102 update

Bernhard Pieber bernhard at pieber.com
Sat Jan 18 12:09:39 UTC 2020

Hi Levente,

> Am 15.01.2020 um 23:46 schrieb Levente Uzonyi <leves at caesar.elte.hu>:
>
> On Wed, 15 Jan 2020, Ben Coman wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 at 01:18, Ben Coman <btc at openinworld.com> wrote:
>>>

> snip
>

>>> So naive question... How does Monticello deal with such a situation between b3 & b4?
>>>
>>> Left as an exercise is pushing branches b3 & b4 to a git-service-provider,
>>> then issue a PR merging b3 into master, followed up a PR merging b4 into master.
>>>
>>> If you can work out how to easily get such timestamp merge conflicts to AUTO RESOLVE
>>> on the remote git server used to merge PRs (i.e. GitHub, GitLab, etc),
>
> Why do you want these to "AUTO RESOLVE"?
> If the same method is modified in two different branches, it's a must to
> check whether those changes are compatible or not, isn't it?

Well, when the builds on the CI server running all the tests succeed, you don't necessarily have to. If you have good test coverage. I am not saying that is a good thing. It's just that that is the common practice in all non-Smalltalk projects I worked on for several years now. I guess in other languages this is more important because methods are much longer.

Bernhard