[Vm-dev] [Pharo-dev] Fed up

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 09:13:02 UTC 2020

Hi Ronie,

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 5:48 PM Ronie Salgado <roniesalg at gmail.com> wrote:

> That performance regression looks more like a language implementation bug
> that a problem of the language itself. If we assume that #do: and some
> other selectors (e.g. #select, #reject) should always receive a block
> instead of a symbol, then the compiler could perfectly replace the symbol
> literal for an already instantiated block literal transparently from the
> user perspective. If the compiler does that we can save the bytecode for
> instantiating the block closure, which can save a potential roundtrip to
> the garbage collector. I guess (I am just speculating) that this
> performance overhead must be in the implementation of the #perform:
> primitive, which I guess has to:
> 1) go through the JIT stack into the C stack transition (saving/restoring
> interpreter/JIT state, additional pressure, and primitive activation
> overhead.

perform:, perform:with: et al (primitive 83), but not
perform:withArguments: are completely implemented in machine code with no
transition to C unless the method is not in the first-level method lookup
cache.  See  genPrimitivePerform, genLookupForPerformNumArgs:
and adjustArgumentsForPerform:.

2) the lack of inline caches for #perform: (again, I am just guessing in
> this case).

Right.  There is only the first level method lookup cache so it has
interpreter-like performance.  The selector and classs of receiver have to
be hashed and the first-level method lookup cache probed.  Way slower than
block activation.  I will claim though that Cog/Spur OpenSmalltalk's JIT
perform implementation is as good as or better than any other Smalltalk
VM's.  IIRC VW only machine coded/codes perform: and perform:with:

Note that the OpalCompiler is currently inlining some methods such as

--
best, Eliot