[Vm-dev] [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] Fix issue #472 (#473)

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 18:45:51 UTC 2020

Hi Stef,

> On Jan 24, 2020, at 8:29 AM, Stéphane Rollandin <lecteur at zogotounga.net> wrote:
>

>> Try and build one yourself? See build.win32x86/HowToBuild
>
> Well, I may just wait... :)
>
> In fact I simply do not grok how the VM release process works. In this case for example, around when can I expect a bundle from the opensmalltalk repository to feature the fix?

It’s not about that.  It’s about being able to test if a vm works.  It is straight forward to build and run your own vm once you have set up the build environment.  You just run a simple script that runs make and within a couple of minutes you have your own vm and you can test if it works without having to wait for anything.  Eventually you can progress to trying to fix bugs you u cover during testing.

I understand if you don’t want to or are uninterested.  But if all that’s holding you back is anxiety that it’s really complicated I assure you that if you clone the opensmalltalk-vm repository, read and follow build.win32x86/HowToBuild that you’ll be able to build the vm within a few hours (setting up Cygwin or mingw is a big time consuming but not horribly so, and you only have to do it once).