[Vm-dev] Selecting distributed plugins

Levente Uzonyi leves at caesar.elte.hu
Tue Mar 3 11:25:42 UTC 2020

Hi Robert,

On Sun, 1 Mar 2020, Robert wrote:

> I do not believe it is a good idea to have multiple implementations of
> these primitives running about. Why didn't Croquet leverage the work
> done in Cryptography? A question for the ages. Can we consolidate them

It was very likely done independently around the same time. The
CroquetPlugin also has a primitive which you may be interested in:
primitiveGatherEntropy, which can fill up a ByteArray with random bytes.
It's available as Random class >> #gatherEntropyInto: in recent Squeak
versions.

> now, under the Cryptography plugins, please? Those are tested against
> the Cryptography code. As far as 64-bit, I do not know, I imagine they
> have not been ported. I am CCing the Cryptography team in case someone
> would be interested in doing that work for the team. I still offer the
> DES and TripleDES options for encryption in ParrotTalk. I am also using
> SHA256. What would be really sweet is if someone could implement SHA512...

I've uploaded the code I mentioned before which implement various hash
functions including SHA512. In an image with no Cryptography loaded,
evaluate:

Installer ss
 	project: 'Registers';
 	install: 'Registers';
 	project: 'Hasher';
 	install: 'Hasher'.

Then you can write:

HashFunction newSHA512 hashMessage: 'test'.

Levente