[Vm-dev] [squeak-dev] SHA512 squeak implementation?

Robert robert.withers at pm.me
Sat Mar 7 17:27:00 UTC 2020

Hi Levente,

Between this and your HashFunctions and my email in response to Jakob, I
have merged your work into Cryptography, published as:

Name: Cryptography-v5.3-rww.121
Author: rww
Time: 7 March 2020, 12:13:00.184627 pm
UUID: 2b69a713-eac3-4680-9d00-8104eea5a7da
Ancestors: Cryptography-v5.3-rww.120

Ported in the Registers & HAHasher packages and merged into
Cryptography. CryptoGreen!

I am now looking to recategorize to fragment Cryptography. Future work
should be released to the whole enchilada Cryptography package and
copied to the correct fragment. For example reorging, rebasing and
renaming HASHA512 to SHA512. As I fragment I will be adding required
packages. It seems like we are unable to specify a version to the
required package. Is this the case?

QUESTION TO CRYPTOGRAPHY TEAM: How do y'all feel about fragmenting
Cryptography? Pros? Cons?

---

Here is a profile of Cryptography and I see many leaves for the various
Registers, so there may be some optimization that could occur.

- 6250 tallies, 6325 msec.

**Leaves**
7.5% {476ms} RGSixtyFourBitRegister64>>loadFrom:
7.5% {472ms} Random>>nextBytes:into:startingAt:
6.8% {427ms} LargePositiveInteger(Integer)>>bitShift:
5.2% {328ms} [] SystemProgressMorph(Morph)>>updateDropShadowCache
4.4% {280ms} RGSixtyFourBitRegister64>>bitXor:
3.5% {220ms} Random>>generateStates
3.0% {192ms} RGThirtyTwoBitRegisterTest64(TestCase)>>timeout:after:
2.9% {181ms} RGSixtyFourBitRegister64>>+=
2.8% {178ms} HASHA256Inlined64>>processBuffer
2.7% {170ms} RGThirtyTwoBitRegister64>>loadFrom:
2.2% {140ms} RGThirtyTwoBitRegister64>>+=
2.1% {134ms} RGSixtyFourBitRegisterTest64(TestCase)>>assert:description:
2.1% {133ms} Point>>=
1.7% {109ms} RGThirtyTwoBitRegister64>>bitXor:
1.7% {107ms} SHA1>>hashStream:
1.5% {96ms} RGSixtyFourBitRegister64>>leftRotateBy:
1.4% {89ms} RGSixtyFourBitRegister64>>load:
1.4% {89ms} RGSixtyFourBitRegister32>>load:
1.4% {89ms} SmallInteger(Number)>>negative
1.4% {88ms} []
RGThirtyTwoBitRegisterTest64(RGRegisterTest)>>testLeftRotateBy
1.2% {77ms} LargePositiveInteger>>*
1.2% {76ms} GrafPort>>fillRoundRect:radius:
1.1% {70ms} GrafPort>>copyBits
1.1% {67ms} DisplayScreen(Form)>>depth

**Memory**
     old            +0 bytes
     young        +2,071,872 bytes
     used        +2,071,872 bytes
     free        -2,071,872 bytes

**GCs**
     full            1 totalling 74 ms (1.17% uptime), avg 74 ms
     incr            223 totalling 43 ms (0.7% uptime), avg 0.2 ms
     tenures        5,503 (avg 0 GCs/tenure)
     root table    0 overflows

K, r

On 3/7/20 9:39 AM, Robert wrote:
> [...]
> unnecessary add-ons, like X09 and ASN1; ciphers and hashes.
>
> When looking to do end to end encryption, we would load all of
> Cryptography (304 kb), ParrotTalk (93 kb), SSL (350 kb), Telnet (101 kb)
> & SSH (49 kb), for a total of 900 kb. That is only 1.9 % of the total
> image. Note that as I migrate SSL & SSH over onto the ParrotTalk
> framework, I expect to see the sizes of those two packages drastically
> reduce, through adoption of reuse.
>
> 1) having other hashes completes the scope of Crypto even if not utilized.
>
> 2) I look forward to diving deeper and understand your point here as
> well as see how your instances are created.
>
> 3) I would port Registers, as well.
>
> The absence of an ability to easily link dependencies provides a
> challenge to breaking Cryptography up. If only Monticello allowed for
> dependencies,  It is doable to break up Cryptography.
>
> So let us imagine a future where Cryptography stabilizes again. Before
> declaring Crypto stable, I would include adding the Signal encryption
> needs into the Crypto package. This would include the double ratchet
> block cipher mode. As that point of stability is reached, we could
> preserve the total package for one click loading and also reduce and
> break it up into pieces. How would it sound to you if old obsolete
> functions & ciphers are removed, then the ASN1 and X509 is split off. At
> this point to your point let us consider splitting off the ciphers and
> the hash functions and the randomizers, leaving a Crypto base. Then a
> pro user would load Crypto-base, Randomizers, Hash Functions (No MD2...)
> and Ciphers (No DES...).
>
> I tried to use your example of use of the Installer to load Cryptography
> and it did not work. It could not find the versions.
>
> Installer ss
>      	project: 'Cryptography';
>      	install: 'Cryptography-v5.3'.
>
> If this could be made to work, then small scripts could load this split up Crypto pro solution. Optionally loading the different pieces.
>
> Installer ss
>      	project: 'Cryptography';
>      	install: 'Cryptography-base-v5.3';
>      	install: 'Cryptography-core-v5.3';
>      	install: 'Cryptography-hash-v5.3';
>      	install: 'Cryptography-cipher-v5.3';
>      	install: 'Cryptography-ASN1-v5.3';
>      	install: 'Cryptography-X509-v5.3';
>      	install: 'ParrotTalk';
>      	install: 'SSL';
>      	install: 'Telnet';
>      	install: 'SSH';
>      	install: 'Signal'.
>
> Kindly,
> Robert
>

> On 3/7/20 5:20 AM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> On Thu, 5 Mar 2020, Robert wrote:
>>
>>> Oh yes, Levente, I recall speaking with you about it. I would like to
>>> make a proposal. Do you think you could fold all those hash functions,
>>> without the HA, into the Cryptography library? We have a HashFunction
>>> class in there, I do not know how different they may be in their public
>>> interface. I think it would be valuable to combine them. To support TLS