[Vm-dev] [squeak-dev] Squeak5.3 linux ARMv6 segfaults on startup

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 00:34:26 UTC 2020

Hi All,

    apologies; this is my bug.  Having revived my Raspberry 3 build machine
I've just reproduced the crash and can see that it's a code generator bug.
The very first JITted method executed answers SmalltalkImage current.  The
code generated for this should be

   0x4018e8: ldr r0, [pc, #8] ; 0x4018f8
   0x4018ec: ldr r7, [r0, #8]
   0x4018f0: mov r5, r7
   0x4018f4: mov pc, lr

but is alas

   0x4018e8: ldr r0, [pc, #8] ; 0x4018f8
   0x4018ec: ldr r7, [r0, #-0]
   0x4018f0: mov r5, r7
   0x4018f4: mov pc, lr

I have to find out why this does't fail in the simulator (or find out that
it does and that my recollection of having tested 32-bit ARM recently is,
in fact, a self-serving hallucination).  Hopefully normal service should be
restored presently.  But it does mean releasing an updated Squeak5.3
release with a fixed VM. Again, apologies.

--
best, Eliot