[Vm-dev] pthread_setschedparam failed: Not owner

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Mon Mar 30 09:01:18 UTC 2020

> On 30.03.2020, at 10:27, stes <stes at telenet.be> wrote:
>

> Because I have meanwhile a 64 bit version, I continue to look into this.
>
> First of all, the 64 bit version executable seems to work excellent,
> the system is running very responsively, very smoothly.
>
> I run it in RT (realtime class):
>
> bash-4.4$ priocntl -d $$
> REAL TIME PROCESSES:
>   PID[/LWP]         RTPRI       TQNTM      TQSIG
>   8514                0          1000         0
> bash-4.4$ bin/squeak Squeak5.3-19431-64bit.image
>

> There's no printf() warning when starting bin/squeak as such.  So there's no
> "pthread_setschedparam failed" message , provided I run the process in the
> RT class.
>
> The Squeak image works perfectly fine.
>
> I have tried to copied the following code (that was posted by Eliot Miranda
> in this discussion thread).
>
> I copied the following in a Transcript window:
>
>        | proc sem |
>        proc := [| n |
>                       n := 0.
>                       [(n := n + 1) even ifTrue:
>                              [n := n - 1]] repeat] newProcess.
>        sem := Semaphore new.
>        [(Delay forSeconds: 1) wait.
>          proc terminate.
>          sem signal] forkAt: Processor userInterruptPriority.
>        proc resume.
>        sem wait
>
> Then I select the above and choose from Control-d  "do it" from the menu
>
> Nothing happens.   How is the above code exactly supposed to test anything,
> please ??
>
> I don't quite understand the code and how it relates to the heart-beat
> thread.
>
> At the UNIX level I can see there are 2 threads or LWP ( light weight
> processes) where one is running at a higher priority than the other.

That's expected. One is running the main interpreter/JIT, the other is a timer thread that makes sure the time info and events for the Squeak image are exact and delivered.

Glad to see it work on FreeBSD. I hadn't had much time lately, but I had investigated things while back.
Also we had other people looking into FreeBSD-specific (see https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/issues/32 for example)
Thank you!

Best regards
	-Tobias