[Vm-dev] [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] No sound on Linux (#489)

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Sat May 9 11:56:34 UTC 2020

On 09/05/20 8:00 am, Oisín wrote:
> I was able to get sound to play with the following code in Cuis (with
> |padsp cogspur/squeak ...|):
>
> |Feature require: #'Sound'. SoundPlayer boinkScale. |
>
> Although it seems to lock the VM up with an hourglass cursor, so I can't
> do anything else.

I just cloned Cuis repo and tested it with 5.3 Linux VM (Ubuntu Linux
16.04 64b).

The first send loads packages required to produce sound while displaying
the cursor. If your network is slow, this may take  some time.

> Running |AbstractSound bachfugue play| produces no sound for me and CPU
> usage seems to go to nearly 100% for a while.

Beeper beep  "worked fine for me"
SoundPlayer boinkScale "also played fine"
PluckedSound bachFugue play "a bit loud and drove others nuts :-)"
SoundPlayer stopPlayerProcess. "had to stop sound to restore peace"

HTH .. Subbu