[Vm-dev] Interpreter simulator error

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Mon May 11 13:17:12 UTC 2020

On 06/05/20 1:19 am, karl ramberg wrote:

> Seems wrong with floating point value here ?
>
> Bitmap(Object)>>at:put:
> Receiver: a Bitmap of length 5499668
> Arguments and temporary variables:
> index: 4902231
> value: 0.006711409395973154
> Receiver's instance variables:
> a Bitmap of length 5499668

The problem turned out to be that the simulator allocates a Bitmap for
its memory and Bitmap does not support at:put: in SVN trunk. It only
supports ByteAt:put: :-(.

I then tried simulating Squeak32 3.8 image on Squeak 5.3+VMMaker but the
simulator crashed even earlier - many ivars being used before init. E.g.
it calls on primitiveVMParameter which tries to read stats* even before
they are bound in GC.

I am not sure of what I should do now. Should I get InterpreterSimulator
working in VMMaker and then port it to VMMaker.oscog or get it working
in VMMaker.oscog directly?

Regards .. Subbu