[Vm-dev] Question | Bump min support from WinXP to Win8

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Thu May 14 07:01:27 UTC 2020

Hmm... regarding that function, 0x0600 would be enough. Sure. But Vista? Seriously? :-D

It's voting time! Here you go: http://www.strawpoll.me/20045290 [http://www.strawpoll.me/20045290]

Best,
Marcel
Am 13.05.2020 21:50:49 schrieb Nicolas Cellier <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com>:
Hi all,

Le mer. 13 mai 2020 à 19:15, Ben Coman a écrit :

> On Wed, 13 May 2020 at 16:38, Stéphane Rollandin
> wrote:
>

>> > We could bump further but Windows 8 looks like a fair improvement in
>> > reliability and robustness comparing to its predecessors. And the last
>> > update for Windows 8 was only 8 years ago. Not even a decade. :-)
>>
>> FWIW I am still on Windows 8.1
>>
>> Stef
>>

> Whoops. I was about to say Windows 8 was crap - no one uses it. sorry.
>
> The "good" versions of Windows were XP, 7 and 10.
>
> My work machine is actually still on Windows 7. It only became
> end-of-life at the beginning of this year.
> I'd like to upgrade to 10 soon, but there are many 7 installations in the
> wild for a coupe more years.
> Roughly 200 million PCs worldwide will still be running older Windows
> versions, mostly Windows 7.
> Here it is by portion.
> [image: image.png]
>
> https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-many-pcs-are-still-running-windows-7-today/
>

> So I'd agree XP definitely should be dumped, but settling on Win 8 seems
> pointless.
> Either also keep Win 7
> or also dump Win 8 and jump all the way to Win 10.
>
> my two cents...
> cheers -ben
>
> like Ben said, thanks for these pointers.
it seems that the function is supported as of 0x0600 (vista and server 2008)
So it's not necessary to break compatibility with windows 7 yet, too many
users still.
Just use 0x0600 instead of 0x0602.

Hi all,

Le mer. 13 mai 2020 à 19:15, Ben Coman <btc at openinworld.com [mailto:btc at openinworld.com]> a écrit :

On Wed, 13 May 2020 at 16:38, Stéphane Rollandin <lecteur at zogotounga.net [mailto:lecteur at zogotounga.net]> wrote:

> We could bump further but Windows 8 looks like a fair improvement in

> reliability and robustness comparing to its predecessors. And the last

> update for Windows 8 was only 8 years ago. Not even a decade. :-)

FWIW I am still on Windows 8.1

Stef

Whoops.  I was about to say Windows 8 was crap - no one uses it. sorry.

The "good" versions of Windows were XP, 7 and 10.

My work machine is actually still on Windows 7.  It only became end-of-life at the beginning of this year.
I'd like to upgrade to 10 soon, but there are many 7 installations in the wild for a coupe more years.
Roughly 200 million PCs worldwide will still be running older Windows versions, mostly Windows 7.
Here it is by portion.
[image.png]

https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-many-pcs-are-still-running-windows-7-today/ [https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-many-pcs-are-still-running-windows-7-today/]