[Vm-dev] [Pharo-dev] Squeak and Pharo speed differences

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Sat May 16 20:00:07 UTC 2020

Robert wrote
> TSTTCPW, seems reflected in Monticello maps design. How hard could it be
> to provide support for them in Pharo? And Tonel? Good Christ!
>  there is no interested in making features cross-image. NONE. ZERO! It is
> a hard fork. So sad. :(

>From an idealogical point of view, I share everyone's frustration with the
divergence between Squeak and Pharo. Yes, it would be wonderful to
reintegrate the fork(s)! I've dreamed this dream almost since the beginning,
when I tried to keep all my projects compatible between Squeak and Pharo
(impossible). I've shared this dream many times on various MLs, including:
-
http://forum.world.st/Fork-Proposal-Cuis-Killer-Apps-tp3796633p3798801.html
-
http://forum.world.st/Survey-what-do-you-do-with-Squeak-what-do-you-want-to-do-tp5067643p5075317.html
-
http://forum.world.st/Pharo-and-the-rest-of-the-ecosystem-tp4582839p4590003.html

But this is ultimately not the story of Squeak and Pharo, but the story of
human beings! This is how it is. People and groups have goals and pursue
them to the best of their ability, and sure it is sloppy and inefficient.
Eventually I realized there is no use in complaining (it's raining, so be
it), although there can be value in keeping this dream alive. Who knows,
maybe at some point, after enough time, with enough generations of
programmers, the political and personal barriers (the main ones) will lessen
enough to make more things possible, but the problem will remain: who will
do the work?!

We say "how much work could it be", but PARC, and Pharo, and many of us are
building cathedrals. Even if we focus 100% on our primary dreams, it's
unlikely we will see the goal reached in our career/lifetime. So "how much
work could it be": too much!!! We are asking drowning people to light our
cigarette and then complaining that it would have been spoken easy to just
help us out. And it's worse, because these drowning people are already
dedicating much of their lives to provide software for us for free!

The only way forward for us is to keep the dream alive, and share it to
inspire others, but get to work and don't stop, with what we have today, and
be grateful for it.

-----
Cheers,
Sean