[Vm-dev] [Vm-beginners] Stability of the external plugin interface

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sun May 24 20:13:30 UTC 2020

Hi Philip,

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 9:27 AM Philip Bernhart <philip.bernhart at posteo.de>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to write an external plugin - I think,
> for having a fast interface to a C library.
>
> How is that currently done?

Either by writing a plugin or directly through the FFI.  We can discuss how
to make the choice between the two but I lean towards the FFI.

> How stable is that
> interface, will it change in the near future?

The interface is not stable, but it is stable w.r.t. backward
compatibility.  So while the interface is evolving, it is safe to write
against.

> What is the current best documentation for doing
> that? Is there an example plugin?

This Squeak Wiki page is an overview and a series of pointers to articles,
but I don't know how up-to-date it or the articles are.

https://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/464

 Tim, any suggestions on the most up-to-date external plugin doc is?

Thanks for your time,
> Philip

best, Eliot