[Vm-dev] Ubuntu 20.04 build steps after opensmalltalk-vm clone.

Robert Withers robert.withers at pm.me
Sun May 24 20:23:53 UTC 2020

Hey everyone,

I just reinstalled my OS and erased my disk to get it to work right. A few issues that downgrading the version helps: LibreOffice, Adobe Acroread, Facebook Messenger clone called Caprine. These all required special versions.

Then I clone the opensmalltalk/vm, and proceed...

Image generation for VMMaker

I thought I would explain what I had to do to generate all sources and build a working build.linux64x64/squeak.cog.spur VM.

In /image I had to add the following scripts or update existing ones, I forget. We definitely need these two scripts:

> - buildspurtrunk64image.sh
> - updatevmmaker64image.sh

With running these I was able to come up with a Spur64VMMaker.image, with latest loaded. I modified the in-image VMMaker method #generateVMPlugins to reflect the new Cryptography plugins:

> - "Cryptography Plugins:" DESPlugin DSAPlugin MD5Plugin SHA2Plugin

The method version with the clone has a reference to SHA256Plugin which is no longer apropos.

I generate the vm and plugins.

Building dependencies

From the HowToBuild in the linux64x64 directory, I ran the following for installing support libraries for my brand new Ubuntu 20.04 OS:

> - sudo apt-get install uuid-dev libcairo2-dev libpango1.0-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libgl1-mesa-glx libssl-dev

In addition, my new shiny OS needed clang installed so I also ran:

> - sudo apt-get install clang

Running mvm:

First, I needed to update the plugins.ext file to reflect the new Cryptography plugins. I am attaching that file.

Finally, I am ready to build. Go to build.linux64x64/squeak.cog.spur/build/. I run the following:

> - build.linux64x64/squeak.cog.spur/build/$ .mvm > ../mvm.log
> - and after running I type Y and return to cause the script to make clean. (The clean? prompt is hidden given the stdout redirection. See it in the log).

Once the VM and Plugins are generated, I installed to my system by typing:

> - build.linux64x64/squeak.cog.spur/build/$ sudo make install

Now squeak is installed in my machine and I can run the following:

> - image/$ squeak Spur64VMMaker.image &
> - then save as rabbit.image

For my purposes, I now load my Crypto stuff and run all tests:

> - Installer ss
>     project: 'Cryptography'; install: 'ProCrypto-1-1-1';
>     project: 'Cryptography'; install: 'ProCryptoTests-1-1-1';
>     project: 'Cryptography'; install: 'SSLLoader'.

Now I can pass all Crypto and ParrotTalk tests. SSL is still failing, expectedly.

Well I think this is accurate enough. As I have gone through all of this, already, I do not relish trying to replicate my steps. Hopefully the other Ubuntu heads out there will have success!

Kindly,
Rabbit