[Vm-dev] [off topic] System Architecture Diagrams

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 17:03:46 UTC 2020

Hi All,

    thanks to Bruce O’Neel I checked out libevdev, Linux’s “event device” library, which is the “i” in linux’s user-space i/o libraries.

I’m used to seeing (& drawing) system architecture diagrams which have the hardware at the bottom, the kernel above it, and so on. In this style of diagram components of the system that use facilities provided by others are above those other components.  The metaphor is one of support, a layered wedding cake if you like.

But in this lovely diagram from the Wikipedia evdev page, the scheme is turned on its ear. The interface between human and machine is correctly identified as between computer hardware and our sensorimotor organs (is there a separate category name that includes the vocal cords?).  Our brain and the application are correctly located at several removes.  Nice!