[Vm-dev] VM_VERSION triplet

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Fri Nov 20 15:00:26 UTC 2020

An interesting side-effect of David Lewis's update of the subversion repo,
was that I observed that the new VM is called :

4.19.2-3790    and	4.19.2-3790_64bit

The subversion source code seems to be generated from the VMMaker 4.19.2,
and this automatically sets VM_VERSION to 4.19.2 :

The code in the configure script that is doing this:

vmmversion="`tr '\015 ' '\012\012' < \"${interp_h}\" | sed '1,/VMMaker/d;q'`"

VM_VERSION="${vmmversion}-${svnversion}${RELEASE_TAG}"

So it automatically creates a 3 digit version with the subversion 3790 suffix,
based on the SVN version and the VMMaker version.

The subversion version number is 3790 so far is clear, but the VM version
seems to be set by the above code now to "4.19.2".

For the Solaris IPS COMPONENT_VERSION I had a number 4.16.7
and I updated it to the new COMPONENT_VERSION= 4.19.2 .

For the squeak-5 Git OpenSmalltalk VM I would also like to use a 3 digit
version number that makes some sense.

Currently I create 3 digit numbers myself (without any relationship to squeak).

However I was thinking that maybe I can use:

   5.0.x  where x is the VMMaker version number.

It appears that nowadays the VMmaker is called VMMaker.oscog-eem.2887

So I could use the number 2887 in 5.0.2887 where 2887 is the VMMaker number.

This relates to my question a few months ago as to the #define

platforms/Cross/vm/sqVirtualMachine.h:# define VM_VERSION "5.0"

which in my understanding sets the VM_VERSION of all  VM's to "5.0".

An issue could be that the "stack" VM and the "cog" VM actually seem to use,
different VMmaker numbers.

For example currently for the "stack" VM the VMmaker number is 2885.

For the "cog" VM the VMmaker number is 2891.

So they are slightly different.

I guess that what I wonder is whether it makes sense to use version numbers,

	5.0.x
	5.0.2885
	5.0.2891

where x= VMmaker release number following Eliot Miranda's VMmaker release.

Is there an established triplet 3digit release number for OpenSmalltalk ??

Regards,
David Stes