[Vm-dev] nuSqueak source

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Wed Oct 21 19:30:28 UTC 2020

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 12:23 PM tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> Hi - we were just talking about you at the squeak board meeting :-)
>
> > On 2020-10-21, at 10:14 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima <Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org>
> wrote:
> > I heard that people got a new problem in inputting Japanese text into
> Scratch 1.4 running on Raspberry Pi OS after, or around the version
> 2020-08-20. I would like to take a look at it but it might involve
> recompiling and generating  the VM with debugging info.  Last time I looked
> into it was years and years ago and I need to basically make a fresh start.
> >
> > Is the process of making NuSqeauk VM For Raspberry Pi up to date and
> straightforward? Can people point me to the right point to start?
>
> You shouldn't need to do anything special with the VM as far as I
> remember; I'll try to dig into my notes to see what I might have done. What
> I *do* recall is some problem with the X input method application - I
> managed to make it work at some point but then it catastrophically
> interfered with some other important thing. According to my ancient email
> archive I had quite a few messages with you and Kazuhiro-san to make this
> (almost) work in mid-2106. Something about an 'ibus' compositor window?

It is about ibus (and related input method, and somehow it started throwing
random (that is, not always repeatable) errors in the 2020-08-20 Raspberry
Pi OS.  Yes, I remember some issues last time around, but I don't remember
the conclusion, and I have to suspect that I did not really follow through.

Building the VM is completely vanilla; clone the opensmalltalk vm
> repository, run Eliot's magic scripts to build the VMMaker image if you
> need to do any serious development work, or just run the 'mvm' scripts in
> the relevant directory to build from the current sources. On a Pi4 it only
> takes a couple of minutes.

Thanks!

--
-- Yoshiki