[Vm-dev] CI status

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Wed Oct 28 14:06:32 UTC 2020

Hi

> On 27.10.2020, at 23:39, Nicolas Cellier <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
> what is the result on that box with threaded heartbeat VM of:
>
>    [SUnitToolBuilderTests new testHandlingNotification] timeToRun.
>
> If it is more than 5000 ms, then you would confirm the problem that I encounter.
>
> This testHandlingNotification is repeating 10 loops with a 200ms delay wait.
> The problem I've got with threaded heartbeat VM is that first 5 delays run normally, but next 5 will last for 1 second instead of 200ms...
> This is probably what happens on the CI server too (the test times out and CI fails).

Also note that the CI test builds both vms but uses the last one built (because it overwrites the first), and that happens to be the itimer one, not th ethreaded.

The code above runs in around ~2000 ms on my machine (~2015, with ubuntu 18.04)

Things that happened:
	- I just ran the test suite in the DEBUG itimer headful and headless variant and it passes.
	- I just ran the test suite in the DEBUG threaded headful and headless variant and it passes.
	- I ran the RELEASE itimer headful and headless variant and it passes
	- I ran the RELEASE threaded headless variant and it FAILED as on the CI
	- I ran the RELEASE threaded headful variant and it FAILED LESS
		I mean: testHandlingNotification passed, and so did  testValueWithinTimingBasic and testValueWithinTimingNestedInner
		but testValueWithinTimingNestedOuter testValueWithinTimingRepeat still fail!

So there are discrepancies between
	debug and release	and
	headful and headless 	(at least for threaded release)

TL;DR: The linux x86_32 cog v3 threaded release vm has a timing problem ...

Does that help anyone?

Best regards
	-Tobias

BTW: Eliot, the VM spits out a "aioDisable: epoll_ctl: Bad file descriptor". Is that expected?