[Vm-dev] Touch/MultiTouch Events

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Sep 26 04:16:12 UTC 2020

> On 2020-09-25, at 7:34 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 11:45 AM tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>
> Faintly on-topic and possibly interesting -
>
> pi-top are selling a ~12" 10-point HD touch screen for Raspberry Pi's/ Seems like a quite nice way to do your research into what a touch UI for Squeak might be.
>
> https://www.pi-top.com/products/display-keyboard
>
> Search on eBay and you'll find a large number of much cheaper unpackaged displays in all sorts of sizes.  e.g.

Undoubtedly - but will they work with a Pi without hours of fiddling and having to make assorted wiring, supports and so on? Not being an electronics guy (beyond sometimes being able to work out what resistor is needed to make an LED work etc) I truly can't answer that.

Is the price difference either way justifiable? If I were doing it as a for-pay project I'd say definitely not - $150 is barely an of hour.

For hobby? Maybe the fiddle is half the fun; I've done dafter things just for the heck of it. Ask about my R/C transmitter case project some day... now there's a long story of spending money to do something just in order to do it. Buy some CFRP! Make a big CNC router to cut it! 3D printers to make brackets! GRP moulds for case parts! Break the damn circuit board! Short out the replacement board! AaaaaaRgh!

tim
"How many Teela Browns does it take to change a lightbulb?”
"Stupid question."