[Vm-dev] Touch/MultiTouch Events

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Sep 27 02:37:21 UTC 2020

> On 2020-09-26, at 5:44 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>

> But we've got a lng way from worrying about touch events, so...

I should probably point out that I have experience of Smalltalk on ARM mobile devices - and touch screens - with  half a dozen product/projects back to 1987 and the Active Book (https://www.microsoft.com/buxtoncollection/detail.aspx?id=158&from=http%3A%2F%2Fresearch.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Fum%2Fpeople%2Fbibuxton%2Fbuxtoncollection%2Fdetail.aspx%3Fid%3D158)

Along with MediaPad (1996-9), DEC/Compaq, Alan's HP tablet project (2003-ish?) and a couple of more minor efforts. They're all existence proofs that Smalltalk on even very slow/small ARMs (the Active Book was an 8MHx ARM2as with 1MB ram *including* the screen buffer & filing system) can work really well. The current software world expectations of multi-core multi-GHz, multi-GB of 64 bit, hardware floating point, huge caches, etc, etc just show how lazy people have become.

tim
Programmers do it bit by bit.