[Vm-dev] unix SqueakSource socket 'too many open files' problem

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Feb 26 04:04:27 UTC 2021

> On 2021-02-25, at 3:17 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> Assuming you have access to the server, the best place to start
> is by looking in the directory /proc/<pid>/fd/* (where <pid> is
> the process ID of the Squeak VM (you can find it with something
> like "$ ps -aef | grep squeak"). If you look at that once a day
> for a week, you will be able to see a growing number of file
> descriptors hanging around. Eventually it gets to be too many,
> and bad things happen.

After an hour or so there are 350 entries in that directory, virtually all sockets. I imagine somehow something has caused an issue that ... well, no idea. Pretty sure it isn't going to last for a week at this rate!

I've found a backup copy of the image from before the problem so I think I'll probably install that and see if things improve. Maybe a new VM. Strange stuff.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Fac me cocleario vomere! = Gag me with a spoon!