[Vm-dev] Suggestions for handling sqSCCSVersion.h with tarball builds?

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 01:04:38 UTC 2021

I am working on packaging up the VM for Debian and related distros.  My
current approach is to download the stable tarball release from
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/releases/latest.  The
problem I'm having is that unless manual hacks are applied each time it is
downloaded, the build will fail since platforms/Cross/vm/sqSCCSVersion.h
has not been updated and the script to update it fails as the tarball is
just a snapshot of the source files rather than a clone of the repo. (the
snapshot is actually what is preferred vs a repo clone from a Debian
packaging standpoint)

Ideally, the generated tarball would include a pre-updated sqSCCSVersion.h
since this is a point in time snapshot.  Is this something that makes sense
and could be changed for the generated tarball?  If not, any suggestions on
how to handle this in an automated way for tarball builds?  If I should be
sourcing the tarball a different way, I'm open to that as well.

Thanks,
Phil