[Vm-dev] [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] Getting a segmentation fault on the latest squeak.cog.spur (#574)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Jul 22 17:49:54 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 06:50:02AM -0700, Ken Dickey wrote:

> On 2021-07-21 22:35, Tobias Pape wrote:
>
> > Can you do
> >
> > git fetch
> > git branch -a
>
> This only shows Cog.
>
> No difference with
>    git fetch origin
>    git branch -a
>
> Sorry, not much of a git user.  Only #clone #pull #commit #push.
>
> RCS was sensible.  Git seems to me more like a bunch of post-it notes
> than a toolset.  I think the docs are voluminous and confusing. Life's
> too short.
>
> -KenD

Hi Ken,

As a certified old fart, I know exactly what you mean. So from my
personal experience:

For me, getting accustomed to git after years sccs, rcs, cvs, and
svn felt a lot like trying to grok "object oriented" after growing
up with fortran and PL/I. I kept trying to relate git things to my
prior experience, and it just doesn't work that way. Once I got past
a few "aha" moments, Squeak became a real joy to use. My experience
with git has been similar.

The most useful advice I can give you is to just use google. Every
time I get confused on git (which is quite often), I just do a
google search on "git fetch from remote" or whatever it is I'm
trying to do, and amazingly a workable answer will usually pop
right up. I might not understand the answer the first few times
I google it, but it quickly gets me past the immediate frustration,
and eventually I get accustomed to whatever concept I wasn't getting.

HTH,