[Vm-dev] CogVM source as per VMMaker.oscog-eem.2998 - Linux32 ARMv6

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 14:11:02 UTC 2021

Hi Bruce,

> On Jul 27, 2021, at 1:09 AM, Bruce O'Neel <bruce.oneel at pckswarms.ch> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
> I was surprised that those didn't compile as well since if they don't compile on ARM32 they shouldn't compile on other linuxes as well.
>
> The code in that directory is mostly all 5 years old and mostly from RISCOS/PI Foundation.
>
> A quick build on Linux x86-64 shows that the bitbit plugin for that system comes from
>
> opensmalltalk-vm/src/plugins/BitBltPlugin/BitBltPlugin.c
>
> I wonder if "Cross" is the wrong place for the Arm32 bit only plugin.

The problem is that platforms is one dimensional, spanning operating systems, containing a fractal dimension spanning plugins, and this is another dimension, spanning processors.

Look in platforms/Cross/plugins/IA32ABI/ and you’ll see lots of versions of callback support for different processors.  The code is mostly OS agnostic, but is ABI specific.

So the convention that limps along is to put processor specific stuff under platforms/Cross/plugins in the relevant plugin.  It ain’t pretty but it’s probably as good as anywhere else.

> cheers
>
> bruce

Eliot