[Vm-dev] Aarch64 number bug

Craig Latta craig at blackpagedigital.com
Sun Jun 20 19:48:49 UTC 2021

Hi Ken--

      I brought up a development environment on a Raspberry Pi 4.

 > Unfortunately, my attempt to build a VM simulator on aarch64 fails due
 > to a divide by zero bug.
 >
 > Perhaps because
 >    16r8000000000000000 printStringHex. ==> '0'

      update-eem-463.mcm has a postload action which turns on Sista,
which recompiles the system, which tries to recompile
FloatArrayTest>>testFloatArrayPluginPrimitiveAtPut, which exercises this
very bug during scanning, when trying to create the float 1e-127.

      For now I've rewritten testFloatArrayPluginPrimitiveAtPut and
testFloatArrayPluginPrimitiveAt on my system to do nothing. When
building GdbARMv8Plugin, there's some other kind of
header-include-ordering mayhem, similar to the problem with Linux
features.h when building the VM. (At least two levels of it, between
bfd.h and the aarch64 simulator's config.h, and config.h and other
system headers.) I expect no one has successfully built GdbARMv8Plugin
on anything but a M1 macOS machine so far.

-C

--
Craig Latta  ::  research computer scientist
Black Page Digital  ::  Berkeley, California