[Vm-dev] GitHub actions build artifacts...

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Sat Nov 27 08:09:14 UTC 2021

Hi Tim --

> How much latitude is there on changing that?

Some, I think. See https://docs.github.com/en/pages/getting-started-with-github-pages/creating-a-github-pages-site [https://docs.github.com/en/pages/getting-started-with-github-pages/creating-a-github-pages-site]

Best,
Marcel
Am 27.11.2021 06:00:52 schrieb tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org>:

> On 2021-11-25, at 9:36 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> where do the github actions built VM packages (e.g. squeak.cog.spur_linux32ARMv6_202111250841) end up? Why does the VM trunk download link on squeak.org point to github.com/opensmalltalk-vm rather than where the build artifacts are?

I pretty much echo the sentiment. That github page is not very helpful - I think rather like unix 'man' pages the entire system was designed to only make sense if you already know exactly what it is supposed to be explaining. How much latitude is there on changing that?

Some specific issues -

- ok, so you scroll down and spot the 'badges, things that are about as good a UI affordance as the doors that that have push-bars on the pull side.

- click on one, say the 'Build for Linux (ARM)'. It takes us to a page with no obvious connection to getting hold of a build. Oh, wait, following a further step actually gets a list of 'Artifacts' and you can actually click on one to download. That really isn't an obvious path to take.

- I have no idea what the 'DOI' badge is about, even after clicking on it.

- the 'Download latest build' link takes us to a page that list a bunch of presumable downloadable items that have no identification as to when they were built. It doesn't appear that what I get from that is the same file as I got from the above 'Artifacts' page. Should it be? How would one tell without examining it in detail? So far as I can tell they actually are all the same files and so I have to boggle at why the different names and the presumably wasted disc space somebody is supporting. (Not to mention 9.2Mb for the core ARM64 vm? Eek!)

Maybe it's just a case of having got too old and I should retire to my rocking chair? Maybe there are some things that can be done to make it a bit clearer? Maybe it's Maybeline?

If anyone knows how to beat up github pages so there can be nice simple links to places to just get the relevant packages, please, please, fix it.

tim
Strange OpCodes: D: Detonate