[Vm-dev] [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] a385f5: Add a configure option to specify name of the inst...

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Sep 5 20:43:05 UTC 2021

On Sun, Sep 05, 2021 at 08:51:44PM +0200, Tobias Pape wrote:

> Hi
>

> > On 5. Sep 2021, at 19:31, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> >

> > I think that the 32-bit / 64-bit spur installation conflict is resolved
> > in branch dtl/distinct-VERSION_TAG, although it could use a second set
> > of eyes before I'd feel comfortable merging it.
>
> is that the bit-ness of the image the binary understand or the bit-ness of the binary itself?
> -t

It's the bit-ness of the binary itself.

For the opensmalltalk-vm VMs, this amounts to the same thing, although
in theory the image word size could be independent of host word size.
But in any scenario, you don't want to mix 32-bit and 64-bit executable
files in the same /usr/local/lib/squeak/<foo> directory, so the simple
check for sizeof(void *) should serve for the forseeable future.

As an aside, in the interpreter VM a similar installation naming
convention is used, but in that case it refers strictly to image
word size regardless of host word size. Thus the naming conventions
are similar, but they actually mean different things on opensmalltalk-vm
compared to squeakvm.org interpreter VM. But for now that difference
does not matter.