[Vm-dev] why would a unix vm try to load libasound when the commando line is either squeak -help or squeak -vm-sound-null?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Sep 28 17:42:26 UTC 2021

> Ho hum, more detective work.

Well, it wasn't my fault, apparently. The linux x64 packages on squeak.org that use the 5.3 VM - which appears to be every one from the 5.3 release package up to the latest on in files (http://files.squeak.org/6.0alpha/Squeak6.0alpha-20582-64bit/Squeak6.0alpha-20582-64bit-202003021730-Linux.zip) have this long list of ldd output.

I have a copy of the 202101260417 package (which I accidentally spotted in the not at all easy to spot releases page of the github site) and that does not have the issue. Thus I must guess that some make related problem had crept into the system and subsequently got solved.

The two versions can be retrieved and checked from
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/releases/tag/202101260417
and
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/releases/tag/202003021730
... should any one be interested in the palaeontology of it.

tim
No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood