[Vm-dev] ulimit rat-rio setting (was Re: [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] Do not use linux-latest runner, use an older stable version. (#598))

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Sep 29 19:29:03 UTC 2021

Running
`sudo grep limit /etc/pam.d` on my ubuntubox reveals that cron, login, runuser, sshd, su and systemd-user refer to limit.

login explicitly claims to defer to /etc/security/limits.conf
runuser has the exact same line
sshd ditto
su ditto
and finally systemd-user ditto

So they all use `session required pam_limits.so` and that claims (according to https://www.man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/pam_limits.8.html) to read the /etc/security/limits.conf file, which in my case is nothing but comments. It also claims to then read (in C locale order, for what it's worth) the files in /etc/limits.d, including our squeak.conf file.

Despite us doing what looks like al lthe right stuff,
`ulimit -a` says my realtime priority setting is 0.

To add further to the irritation, on the work server it has done the right thing and the rtprio setting is 2. Grrrrrrr. It has the same /etc/security/limits/d/squeak.conf - and indeed it works just fine on my Raspberry Pi 64bit OS.

The output of the grep above is the same.

In https://superuser.com/questions/740000/modify-and-apply-limits-conf-without-reboot I see a mention that the '*' part of the line doesn't apply to 'root', which... probably isn't relevant?

The potentially big difference between the local ubuntubox and the work one is that mine is 18.04.4 and the work one is 20.04

My brian hertz.

tim
A)bort, R)etry, P)ee in drive door