[Vm-dev] Primitive 126 | Its problems and its future :-)

Juan Vuletich JuanVuletich at zoho.com
Wed Apr 27 22:20:17 UTC 2022

Hi Marcel,

I was only aware about this today. I have also just read
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2022-April/037766.html .
WRT "Tested with **Squeak6.0alpha** and **Cuis6.0-5069**.", let me thank
you all for considering Cuis a first-class citizen of the OpenSmalltalk
world!

Cuis supports a separate in-image composition buffer if needed. But it
needs to know from the VM.

The behavior Cuis assumes from primitive 126 is documented in
#primitiveDeferUpdates: that Cuis inherited from Squeak:
- The primitive allows requesting to enable or disable VM deferred
updates. Disable means framebuffer is updated on every write, with
possible flickering unless a separate composition buffer is used in the
image.
- If "VM deferred updates" can not be set, meaning that writes are
propagated immediately, primitive 126 must fail.

In OpenSmalltalk Linux and Windows VMs, primitive 126 doesn't fail, but
in-image double buffering is not needed. The same happened with Mac
previous VMs.

The behavior of the 202204190959 Mac VM appears to be that deferred
updates are not set even if requested (via prim 126), but prim 126
doesn't fail. This produces a bit of flickering in Cuis, that can't be
easily avoided, because Cuis can't know. If primitive 126 is made to
fail, Cuis will be happy again. Otherwise we'd need another way for the
image to know. I'm willing to adapt Cuis as needed.

Thanks,

--
Juan Vuletich
www.cuis-smalltalk.org