[Vm-dev] Primitive 126 | Its problems and its future :-)

Juan Vuletich JuanVuletich at zoho.com
Thu Apr 28 12:05:43 UTC 2022

Hi Marcel,

The check for 'MacOS' is an acceptable solution for Cuis.

But I just did a quick test with Squeak 5.3, running on the new VM. If I
comment the primitive 126 call in #primitiveDeferUpdates: , to simulate
the effect of the primitive failing (and resize the squeak window to
force recreation of Display, Canvas, etc), then the "invisible dragged
window" problem is fixed.

As I said before, this is also a good solution for Cuis. So, my
suggestion, is to simply make primitive 126 fail on MacOs.

This wouldn't affect older images checking for the platform (as you say,
for a performance improvement), but would fix older "untweaked" images,
solving any concern about strict back compatibility for the VM.

Thanks,

--
Juan Vuletich
www.cuis-smalltalk.org