[Vm-dev] Building OSVM in Windows 11 and Cygwin64 ...

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 23:40:42 UTC 2022

On Fri, Dec 30, 2022 at 2:51 PM Jakob Reschke <jakres+squeak at gmail.com>
wrote:

> That's why (quoted from the doc page):
>
> Unlike _alloca, which doesn't require or permit a call to free to free
> the memory so allocated, _malloca requires the use of _freea
> <https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/c-runtime-library/reference/freea?view=msvc-170> to
> free memory.

Still not a good enough justification, IMO.  They could modify the compiler
to plant a call to _freea on return.  I'm also curious to see if _freea
actually does anything.  The whole point of alloca is that deallocation is
automatic on return because the memory is stack allocated.

Am Fr., 30. Dez. 2022 um 23:07 Uhr schrieb Eliot Miranda <

--
best, Eliot