[Vm-dev] ExtendedClipboardInterface and ClipboardExtendedPlugin state?

Vanessa Freudenberg vanessa at codefrau.net
Tue Jan 4 18:26:37 UTC 2022

On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 8:14 AM Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Vanessa,
>
> On Jan 3, 2022, at 1:03 PM, Vanessa Freudenberg <vanessa at codefrau.net>
> wrote:
>

> In the OLPC days this plugin enabled copy/paste of objects, pictures. and
> rich text on all platforms (Mac/Win/X11).
>
> E.g. you could copy/paste a morph from one image to another simply by
> bringing up its halo, pressing cmd-c, and pressing cmd-v in the other
> image. All its scripted behavior (Etoys scripts) would be transferred with
> it. If instead you pasted that morph into a word processor, it would
> insert a bitmap rendering of the morph.
>
> Similarly you could copy a picture from a web browser and paste it
> directly into Squeak. Or copy syntax-highlighted source code from Squeak
> into an email.
>
> I'm not entirely sure how much of the machinery made into Squeak trunk,
> but I would guess it's almost all there, might just need some wiring to
> hook up properly.
>

> The basic image classes are there.  But only the Mac vm support machinery
> made it.  There is no platforms/unix/plugins/ClipboardExtendedPlugin
> or platforms/win32/plugins/ClipboardExtendedPlugin that I can find.  Where
> or who can we reach out to to try and locate this code?

The unix plugin is in the interpreter sources:

http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/squeak/trunk/platforms/unix/plugins/ClipboardExtendedPlugin/sqUnixExtendedClipboard.c?view=markup

with the X11 support code in the display plugin:

http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/squeak/trunk/platforms/unix/vm-display-X11/sqUnixX11.c?revision=3796&view=markup#l2465

I don't see the equivalent in win32, possibly I was misremembering that it
worked on all three platforms (I only ever use Mac and *nix).

Vanessa