[Vm-dev] [squeak-dev] Squeak 6 on Mac

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Tue Jul 5 19:40:12 UTC 2022

Hi

> On 5. Jul 2022, at 21:20, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Jul 5, 2022 at 12:13 PM Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Eliot, all
>
> > On 5. Jul 2022, at 21:08, Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Eliot --
> >
> > I cannot reproduce that issue on macOS 11.6.5.
> >
> > 1. Download Squeak 6.0 as .dmg container.
> > 2. Move contents (.app), for example, onto desktop.
> > 3. Drop an arbitrary .image onto that .app.
> > 4. That .image will be opened.
> >
> > Well, your "Note" looks like you are trying to run that .app from some temporary folder? How did you achieve that?
>
> The keyword "AppTranslocation" hints that the bundle was started from the Download location or the DMG.
>
> 1. I downloaded the all-in-one.
> 2. macos (12.4) unzipped the all-in-one bundle into a ~/Downloads/Squeak6 directory, containing the fat binary mac app bundle containing the other VMs and the Mac VM in ~/Squeak/Squeak6/Squeak6.0-22101-64bit-All-in-One.app/Contents/
> 3. I moved this to my Squeak directory, giving me ~/Squeak/Squeak6/Squeak6.0-22101-64bit-All-in-One.app et al
> 4. I copied the image and changes file into a ~/Squeak/Squeak6.0 directory as trunk6-64.image/changes
> 5. I dropped the image on the ~/Squeak/Squeak6/Squeak6.0-22101-64bit-All-in-One.app bundle and got the translocation
> 6. I opened the app using the command line from ~/Squeak/Squeak6.0:
>         open trunk6-64.image -a ~/Squeak/Squeak6/Squeak6.0-22101-64bit-All-in-One.app --stdout=`tty` --stderr=`tty`
>     and got the translocation
> 7. I ran the VM binary from the command line:
>         ../Squeak6/Squeak6.0-22101-64bit-All-in-One.app/Contents/MacOS/Squeak trunk6-64.image
>     and got the warning about no sources in ../Squeak6
>

> Please throw away the app or DMG, download again and MOVE the app somewhere else, and then start.
> This precludes translocation.
>
> I'm not using the DMG.  I downloaded the all-in-one, and moved it.

In that case, I really wonder what's going on.
Can you give me the output of

ls -le@ Squeak6.0-22101-64bit-All-in-One.app/Contents/MacOS/Squeak
xattr -l Squeak6.0-22101-64bit-All-in-One.app/Contents/MacOS/Squeak

xattr -l $PATH_OF_THE_DOWNLOADED_THING

please?

> (this is unavoidable.)
>
> Have you got a pointer to the relevant documentation?

Apple is scarce on any usable stuff lately…

>  Do I have to duplicate the Squeak6 directory?

you should not, if you moved stuff, macOS should have disabled translocation -.-

Lapcatsoftware has old info:
	https://lapcatsoftware.com/articles/app-translocation.html

Here's someone avoiding translocation via some exploit, hence not recommendable:
	https://www.synack.com/blog/untranslocating-apps/

Forum says signing the dmg or bundle helps (https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/133743):
"
>Another solution is to sign the .dmg file too, that should avoid app translocation if I remember correctly.
Right.
"

We probably have to be tighter in stuff, I just found a "howto":
- https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/701581#701581021
- https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/701514#701514021 (for signing or so…)

:( yay more work.

Best regards