[Vm-dev] [Cuis-dev] Cuis on a RISC

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Tue Jun 14 14:26:37 UTC 2022

On 2022-06-14 06:37, Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev wrote:

> I did not ask a specific enough question:
> "Wasn't there a RiscV JIT VM? AFAIR Eliott wrote something about that
> one."

No.  MIPS, ARM, and RISCV are all RISC architectures, and there is a
RiscOS which runs on ARM.
   https://www.riscosopen.org/content/

Right now the image is running well, but I get an error
   PNGReaderWriter crc error in chunk IHDR

But this does come up in the debugger! Not by crashing.

Probably an edge case with passing structs.  Callouts and FFI need more
testing.

But, hey, celebrate success!  Ran the first time I got everything to
compile. Wow!  Bless the OpenSmalltalk crew! :)

Note that Allwinner D1 is a slow chip.  One core.  LicheeRV is finiky.
No graphics acceleration.  Early days Debian Linux.  You have to be
comfortable with Linux and SD cards to attempt it.

I wrote up basics at

https://github.com/KenDickey/opensmalltalk-vm-rv64/blob/Cog/building/linux64riscv/LicheePiHow2.txt

You probably want to read that first.

But, we are supposed to get fast, relatively cheap risc boards later
this year.  Perhaps BeagleV?  We have to be ready!  ;^)

Good on ya,
-KenD