[Vm-dev] [ANN] OpenSmalltalk VM 2022 released (tag 202205110711)
marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Wed May 11 15:57:43 UTC 2022
Hi all --
Please note that - from hereon - our ongoing discussion about backwards compatibility and missing DPI-awaress in older images can still be resolved in various ways:
a) Tag some older OSVM version as "good enough" where the prior -metal platform code did provide a "low resolution" mode -- by accident -- to accommodate macOS 12.x and Retina displays
b) Implement a cross-platform "low resolution" mode in the OSVM, where that mode might be chosen through an extra bit in the image header; then make another OSVM release
c) Rely on platform tools to workaround older images being unaware of high-resolution displays and thus appearing quite tiny; i.e., the global macOS 12 magnifier still works
Am 11.05.2022 12:03:49 schrieb Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de>:
We just released the next version of the OpenSmalltalk VM.
Please find the binaries here:
(see VMMaker.oscog-mt.3184 and update.oscog-mt.6.mcm)
That version will be used in the upcoming Squeak 6.0 and also updated
bundles for Squeak 5.3. And probably in upcoming Cuis releases. :-)
Here is an attempt of a change log (since 2020):
- Adds ARMv8/Aarch64/ARM64 JIT incl. support for Apple M1
- Adds "fast C primitives" via #FastCPrimitiveFlag
- Adds support for catching exceptions in FFI callouts
- Adds #primitiveScreenScaleFactor (for DPI-aware images)
- Adds primitives 568 and 578 complementing 88 (primitiveSuspend)
- Adds #primitiveMultipleBytecodeSetsActive to update image format for SistaV1
- Adds VectorEnginePlugin
- Fixes regressions in ARMv6 support
- Fixes performance regressions of -metal and -opengl backends on macOS
- Fixes -core-graphics backend on macOS
- Fixes Retina scaling on macOS, i.e., support "backing scale factor"
- Fixes primitive 126 to fail on graphics backends w/o composition buffer
- Fixes regressions in vm-display-fbdev on Linux
- Fixes time sync (e.g., for DST) on Windows
- Fixes UDP binding on Windows
I am sure that I forgot something especially in plugin code. Please expand on this.
BIG THANKS to everybody who has worked on this release! Personally, I would like
to thank Eliot, who is a great software architect who keeps on making the OSVM
faster with every commit. Thank you!
Marcel (on behalf of the OSVM core dev team)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Vm-dev