[Vm-dev] Arm64 MacOS CogSpur crashes when not using mixed arithmetic

Alan Dao alan.n.dao at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 05:45:24 UTC 2022

I've noticed an immediate crash for the CogSpur VM on Arm64 MacOS when we
set the VM parameters to the following.

Smalltalk vmParameterAt: 48 put: ((Smalltalk vmParameterAt: 48) bitClear:
64) + 64.

This issue doesn't happen on the Stack VM. Cuis, my main distro, sets this
VM parameter by default while Squeak does not, but I can cause Squeak to
crash by running the above command as well.

I looked at the docs and saw this as the comment for the given bitflag.
Squeak comment:
"Bit 6: if set, implies arithmetic primitives will fail if given arguments
of different types (float vs int)"
Cuis comment:
"Bit 6: (on VMs that support it) whether the arithmetic primitives perform
conversion in case of mixed SmallInteger/Float (not set) or fail (set)
(on VMs that don't support it, those primitives will fail in those cases)"

I'm not sure what to make of the functionality, but at the least, it
shouldn't cause the image to crash when set?

Best,
Alan