[Vm-dev] [Cryptography Team] Porting the Cryptography library to use libsodium

rabbit rabbit at callistohouse.org
Sun Sep 11 10:48:58 UTC 2022

I took a look at SqueakSSL and there is a SqueakVM Plugin built, with
platform code, a Cross header for the Plugin and source generated from
the image. This plugin has a tight interface (only about 8 methods)
which call the SSL OS library.

As the protocol interface for libsodium is likely quite sizeable, I
think I would prefer adapting to use FFI to talk to the shared object
lib, libsodium.so. I cannot find an example using FFI, in fadct I do not
think it is loaded.

Is it possible, you can point me to an example of using FFI to talk to a
shared lib?

Thanks!
rabbit

On 9/10/22 13:40, rabbit wrote:
> Thanks for your advice Ron. I’ll look to SqueakSSL as an example how
> to integrate the libsodium.so! I was intending providing a separate
> interface from SqueakSSL, too.
>
> What sort of object would be a SqueakLibSodium?
>

> Have a Good One; Keep it, Light.
> Kindly,
> rabbit
> . .. … ‘…^,^
>

> Sent from Callisto House :: decentralized mobile homeless solutions
>
>> On Sep 10, 2022, at 10:23, Ron Teitelbaum <ron at usmedrec.com> wrote:
>>

>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> Probably the best thing to do is have a look at SqueakSSL.  It has a
>> method to lookup OS Provided crypto modules.  Marcel is currently
>> supporting it.  I wouldn't suggest adding libsodium to it but instead
>> use it as a framework to support the same smalltalk api and then add
>> to it whatever you believe is needed that you don't get from OpenSSL.
>>
>> Building SqueakLibSodium as a Plugin makes the most sense to me. It
>> would be nice if we could find a good way to find a way to keep both
>> packages in sync but having them as different packages seems much
>> safer.  I'm happy to be convinced otherwise.
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Ron Teitelbaum
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 10, 2022 at 9:55 AM rabbit <rabbit at callistohouse.org> wrote:
>>
>>     Good morning!
>>
>>     I have successfully made and installed libsodium on my box
>>     (Ubuntu Jammy). I wish to access functions in the libsodium.so
>>     from Squeak, but I am not familiar with FFI (Alien?).
>>
>>     Another question I have is how to configure the vm to include
>>     libsodium.so or does using FFI remove that need? Is it possible
>>     to have the VM automatically download, make and install the
>>     libsodium.so? My approach is to get it all working then make it
>>     work right.
>>

>>     Have a Good One; Keep it, Light.
>>     Kindly,
>>     rabbit
>>

>>     Sent from Callisto House :: decentralized mobile homeless solutions
Have a good one; keep it, light.
Kindly,
rabbit

Sent from Callisto House :: decentralized mobile homeless solutions