[Vm-dev] Building OSVM in Windows 11 and Cygwin64 ...

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 01:00:39 UTC 2023

> On Dec 31, 2022, at 2:46 AM, Taeumel, Marcel <Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de> wrote:
>

> Hi Eliot, hi all --
>
> Cygwin seems to be kind of outdated. Many important packages are not maintained anymore. Only clang 8 is supported. Well, GitHub offers MSYS2, so I switched to that locally as well. Works like a charm. clang 15.05.

Agreed. I would happily move windows builds to the MSVC toolchain (which uses clang and which we use to build the Virtend VM).  I do use gnu make from Cygwin to build when using the MSVC toolchain; nmake is too crappy.  And I like using the Cygwin shell more than powershell. But I could be persuaded to switch over to powershell; not to nmake.