[Fwd: Re: [Webteam] Suggestion+for+Squeak+Website]

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Tue Dec 20 23:50:01 CET 2005

Dear Max and webteam,

Jason Rogers <jacaetevha at gmail.com> wrote:
> In that "Object-Oriented" was coined by Alan Kay I think it is still
> fair to say that Smalltalk is the original.  However, if it would
> improve the read-ability of our home page (by not reigniting deep
> flames of resentment and/or purism) I wouldn't mind going with
> 'pioneering' instead of 'original'.

I am the author of the current first page and yes, I am aware of the
relationship/history of Simula/Smalltalk etc. Especially since I am from
Scandinavia. :)

The intention was not to belittle Simula (being the first language with
object oriented ideas). I still would call Smalltalk the first object
*oriented* language. In fact, AFAIK Simula didn't even use those terms
when introduced, but more importantly Smalltalk is totally *oriented*
around objects. Simula is not.

But you are right - no need to use a phrase inviting needless discussion
:). How about:

"When Smalltalk was created more than 35 years ago it *defined the term
object orientation* and is the first language in which *everything is
built from objects*. Smalltalk is deeply inspired by ideas from
especially Simula, Sketchpad and Lisp and even today Smalltalk sets the
bar for object oriented dynamically typed interactive languages and
environments."

Or variations on the above? We should also make "Simula", "Sketchpad"
and "Lisp" into proper links.

regards, Göran