[Webteam] Serious bug in PPC Linux installer

Dan Winkler heydan at post.harvard.edu
Mon Mar 6 18:40:22 UTC 2006

I ran the PPC Linux installer:

http://ftp.squeak.org/current_stable/unix-linux/Squeak-3.8-6665-powerpc-linux-gnu-3.7.7.tar.gz)

and it worked but it had a bad side effect -- it changed the owner and
group of several of the directories it touched to 1002, which is not a
known user on my system.

This problem showed up later when I tried to log into gdm and couldn't
because it could no longer write to /tmp which now had owner and group
1002.  That's the simple explanation of the problem but it took me
hours to research it and debug it.

Looking at the INSTALL program that comes with Squeak I don't see any
reason why this bug would have happened, unfortunately.