[Webteam] Need Comments and Final Approval

Ken G. Brown kbrown at mac.com
Fri Jan 12 22:26:53 UTC 2007

Brad Wrote:
>>Ken G. Brown wrote:
>>> Good work.
>>> Looking at <http://wwwtest.squeak.org>...
>>>
>>> - There appears to be an extra blank line just below the title Take Part in the Innovation.
>>>
>>Hmm... I believe that's on purpose because it's too tight to the header
>>at the top, otherwise.

It's just different than the other similar places and looks a bit off.

>> > - A day or so back the test site had matching light yellow background for the center pane with the main text.
>>
>>Do you mean like the bg color of the boxes?

Yes, I think so.

Not really all. I like the new at http://wwwtest.squeak.org better except maybe light yellow background rather than the purple for the main center pane. I could be talked into a bit less harsh version of the purple tho. I like the green downloads pane background. And a bit toned version of the links pane background at http://www.squeak.org might be ok. The one now is a bit harsh or loud as compared to the green downloads background. Others at wwwtest ok.

>> > - I like the Weekly Squeak location for news. I'm wondering if 'Weekly Squeak' is explanation enough or does it need the word 'News' there somehow?
>>>

>>All that text is from an automatic feed.
>>
>>> - What does the small 'View' link at the upper right mean? Is it necessary?
>>>

>>This is a wiki. You should see: View | Changes | Search.  If one logs
>>in, they have more options at that location (like, edit, history).

Maybe the display of the wiki specific links somehow need to be limited or localized to when you are interested in wiki editing, like maybe when signed in then? Most general public may not need them.

>> > - I like the header/logo/image across the top. Good to keep the header small vertically to avoid using up too much screen real estate since it is always displayed.
>>>
>>> - I do not think the small 'Squeak' link at upper left under the logo is necessary since the one below it in the pane appears to be the same.
>>>

>>It's a feature of Smallwiki. It shows the user the complete path of
>>where they are.

Oh, ok, no biggie then.

>> > - Perhaps Login should be there with View|Changes|Search?
>>>
>>> - Could the View|Changes|Search|Login links have a short explanation when you click on them? ie Login to what? Why would you want to? How do you register to Login?
>>>

>>I guess that could be in another page - a description of how to use the
>>wiki. Want to write it?

Well, I was thinking that just a simple short illuminating line at the top when you get to each link for those not in the know. eg This site is based on a Smallwiki (with link to Smallwiki here), this page is wiki editing related. Or some such thing.

Oh, on the home page, I think it's good to leave the powered by Smalltalk and powered by Squeak logos at the bottom. If someone doesn't know what Smallwiki is, it helps put Smalltalk and Squeak out there a bit more.

Ken G. Brown

>><snip>
>>
>>> Overall it looks like steady improvement. Thx for your efforts.
>>>
>> > Ken G. Brown
<snip>