[Webteam] Welcome section of Front Page prior to 14Jan2007

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Sun Jan 14 22:17:34 UTC 2007

Hi Brad and all!

Sorry I haven't been able to participate in all this - been ill, and
Maya too (light phneumonia) so I have been mostly offline.

Brad Fuller <brad at sonaural.com> wrote:
> <h1>Welcome!</h1>
[SNIP]

I wrote that text and the intent was to make it "packed" with Good Info,
still quite short and mainly attract developers, typically from other
similar camps like Python etc. At the time there were lots of voices
about what to include on the front page (like a reference to Seaside for
example) and so on.

If you read it you notice a few things that are not present in the text
that is currently under "About" - for example mentioning X3J20, the
highly modular VM with its plugin system, the inheritage to Simula,
Lisp, Sketchpad etc.

Btw, I noticed (in current About) there is a problem with this line
(there should be "with" in there):

	"a simple yet efficient incremental garbage collector for 32-bit direct
pointers efficient bulk-mutation of objects"

...also the previous line that says:

	"it runs bit-identical on many platforms (Windows, Mac, Unix, and
others)"

...doesn't play well with the text before it "Other noteworthy aspects
of Squeak include". An alternative would be:

	"bit-identical execution on many platforms (Windows, Mac, Unix, and
others)"

Anyway, I haven't followed the reasoning behind changing the front page,
and I don't mind. I just hope that the current "About" picks up the good
bits from that text - for example, excluding our inheritage seems like a
bad idea.

And oh, while I am nit-picking:

The Features page mentions that *Smalltalk* is:
# Interpreted
# Cross-platform
# Cross-OS
# Cross-hardware

I don't agree with that. *Smalltalk* can be compiled and there are for
example Smalltalk MT that is both compiled AND non cross-platform (just
like Dolphin is non cross-platform).

Mmm, other details on that page:

	Squeak can be used for Web Application Development.  <- no period
	"every thing" should be "everything"

Anyway (again), I actually like the current approach and looks of the
web page. :)

regards, Göran