[Webteam] Feedback for "About" page integration

Alex Perez aperez at alexperez.com
Tue Jan 23 19:24:37 UTC 2007

Brad Fuller wrote:
> Larry Trutter wrote:
>
>> Here is the first draft of my attempt to integrate two different "About"
>> page into one. I don't have access to the test web page so I post the
>> text here. I did not make any attempt to rewrite the whole thing. So I
>> have been conservative with the changes.
>>
>> If any of the information is out of date, let me know and I can update
>> it. There are several sections that I did not modify so I did not
>> include those texts.
>>
>> So any feedback on this are welcome.
>>
>> thanks,
>> Larry Trutter
>>

> Some comments:
>

> ===
> 1. I would removed "especially" from this sentence:
> Smalltalk is deeply inspired by ideas from especially Simula, Sketchpad
> and Lisp and even today Smalltalk sets the bar for object oriented
> dynamically strongly typed interactive languages and environments.

Furthermore, direct links to Wikipedia pages for Simula, Sketchpad, and
Lisp would be a good idea, as surely many people have never heard of
them before, or if they have, might like to learn more.
> ===
> 2. It would be nice to explain, in a couple of words within the
> sentence, what "real live objects" mean:
>
> "You may be familiar with other open source languages like Ruby or
> Python, but Squeak takes these concepts much, much further offering a
> true uniform fully reflective environment - real live objects."

Yes....especially on an about page, if someone is taking the trouble to
read it, chances are they don't know a heck of a lot about it...
> ===
> 3.I like to have bullet points of the basics right up front. So, instead
> of talking about the "kernel" in the "What is Squeak", I think it is
> better to place overall features such as (but not necessarily):
>
> ---
> Other noteworthy aspects of Squeak include:
>
>     * real-time sound and music synthesis written entirely in Smalltalk
>     * extensions of BitBlt to handle color of any depth and anti-aliased
> image rotation and scaling
>     * network access support that allows simple construction of servers
> and other useful facilities
>     * bit-identical on many platforms (Windows, Mac, Unix, and others)
>     * a compact object format that typically requires only a single word
> of overhead per object
>     * a simple yet efficient incremental garbage collector for 32-bit
> direct pointers with efficient bulk-mutation of objects
> ---

Right. The American/Anglo-journalistic-style "start with essentials,
then deeper analysis or explanation" is useful here.
> I like to see a point or two about education too.
>
> ===
> 4. It'd be nice to know what "reflective" means. It's not a term that is
> used often.

Yes, once again, a link to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflection_%28computer_science%29 would
probably do a better job of explaining it than anyone here would.