[Webteam] What's missing from the website

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Wed Jan 24 04:51:55 UTC 2007

I was thinking about this when I was reading Larry's "About" page. We
have plenty of "technical" items on the site: how to download, what is
squeak in a technical sense, what applications are developed in squeak,
the cool features of squeak, the syntax of smalltalk, etc.

But, there isn't explanation of what the real power of squeak could be
and why it was developed out of the ST-80 ideals. The "personal
computer" "powerful ideas" of the dynabook.

Alan and Dan have plenty of literature from which to draw the philosophy
of squeak and smalltalk that we could add to the site. For instance, the
vision of the dynabook, how the environment can be personally changed to
benefit the user's needs, how the personal computer is/can-be a medium
for personal expression, Alan's "powerful ideas", maybe even active essays.

I just think that this is really the more important part of squeak. To
talk about how squeak is different and exciting and much more rewarding
than the rest of the computing world - at least it's a very important
part and it's being under represented. I think we need to work on how to
highlight this perspective. Squeak/Smalltalk's design philosophy is
powerful and I'd like the rest of the world to notice.

--
brad fuller
 http://www.Sonaural.com/