[Webteam] Community Server Information

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Wed Mar 19 22:57:58 UTC 2008

Since we have some prospective new team members and leaders it's
probably a good time to talk about community server issues that affect
the website team.  None of this will be news to existing team members
but perhaps having it all together here may be of some use even to them.

Backups

Currently the entire system is backed up both locally and remotely via
rsnapshot.  The local backup is daily and we store 7 of these (1 week's
worth).  The remote backup is 4 weekly and 12 monthly backups.
Rsnapshot uses rsync to transfer files.

One aspect of this is that the granularity of the backup is on the level
of a file.  So in the local backup for example if there is a file on the
system that changes at least once daily then each backup will contain a
full copy of that file.  This results in 8 copies of the file, this is
minor for small files of course but can become an issue with
multi-megabyte files, for example image and changes files.  Bacause of
this it would be really helpful if the website were to use some other
storage mechanism than image snapshots.

FTP site

In addition to www.squeak.org the webteam is also responsible for the
Squeak FTP site at ftp.squeak.org.  The webteam's responsibility is sort
of as a backup for those parts of the ftp site that are not managed by
someone else.  For example each release team is responsible for their
section of the FTP site.  The ftp content can be accessed through a
symbolic link in the webteam's account directory named 'ftpsite'.

Server Access

Primarily server access is via ssh and related tools such as scp.  The
website team shares a single account and everyone who needs access to it
must provide a public ssh key which is added to the authorization list
for the account.  Additionally there is support for running application
under a tightvnc server.

At the moment I can't think of any other information to impart.  If
anyone thinks of something or has any questions let me know.

Ken