[Webteam] the Squeak board's recommendation for the web team, 2008-03-19

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 15:05:09 UTC 2008

Welcome aboard Janko! And thanks for all the work you've done showing Aida.

The most important job is making sure content is updated in a timely
manner. There are dedicated people on the team  - we just have little
time to update the content, let alone fix lengthy pages. There's lots
to do on the site to bring it up to date. But, I must say, that it's
come a long way.

I want to state that I stand by my statement that I believe we should
continue utilizing Smalltalk as the engine to the website. (I also
want to point out that I didn't see that the SqF concluded that Aida
should be utilized. I think that's up to us.) There are lots of great
website engines that have the capabilities that would work just fine
for our needs - easy to deploy and easy keep up to date (Mambo/Joomla
comes to mind.) But, we are a special website. We represent a
community of people that believe Smalltalk, and Squeak in particular,
is a great development and deployment environment. The community's
goals are the promotion and enhancement of Squeak, among many others.
Utilizing another engine does not promote these goals, it detracts
from it. I think it's a shame that we would not use Smalltalk in this
endeavor, to show visitors as well as old-timers, that we walk the
talk.

brad