[Webteam] Thinking out loud about Aida and Scribo

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Wed Jun 20 05:02:34 UTC 2012

Chris, thanks that was helpful. Especially as I never looked into
scribo. For errors in your text I dunno, nothing contradicts what I know
about Aida.
> Aida is a web framework. You create the domain first and then register that, which is unlike Seaside.
> Then you can choose views for it. The word "style" means more in Aida, as I think it informs the entire view.

Snip ..............

Yesterday I made the experiment to upgrade the current Squeak website
(3.10 image) to a current Aida just to see what to expect.

-SwazooAida stop
-Sport has no changes
-Swazoo changes the base class of some Aida classes.
-Merging Aida 6.4 throws some syntax errors, some classes seem to have
instvars named "object" and the code has local vars of that name.
Renaming those local vars to "xobject" made it load.
-Trying to start the server (SwazooAida start) shows that there are
problems related to the fact that I believe in Squeak 3.8 we had
"Smalltalk" in 3.9 and / or 3.10 we had Smalltalk image and in Trunk we
have Smalltalk again. Havent fully overcome those.

So tonight I will load Aida5.6 and the old Swazoo in a trunk image and
see if this confirms my suspicions.

Our current plan is to have an old Aida run in trunk then move the
content from the old Image to the new image and then upgrade Aida (maybe
scribo and SqueakSite too, haven't looked).

I understand Chris' text as if the content of the Squeak site is stored
in Dictionaries. If we only had to migrate some Dictionaries that seems
easier than migration of Aida which is quite big with lots of
opportunities to make mistakes.

So I feel it might be easier to set up a Trunk image with the current
versions of all mcz, get that working and then just migrate that
Dictionary of SqueakSitePages.

I'll continue experimenting tonight.

Cheers

Herbert