[Webteam] squeak.org issues list

Chris Cunnington websela at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 24 14:01:42 UTC 2014

I just completed a round of changes to squeak.org, which I'll upload tomorrow.

The homepage seems to be a Pandora's box I've opened. I see a collision about to happen where strong opinions meet in a space where there is no time. I want to say that there is time. The homepage went for a long time with no tending and now I feel people think they need to get their changes in exactly as they want them quick before it disappears again.

It's not about to disappear. And there is time. And your content will go on the site. And it will not be rendered exactly as you want it to be. I don't have a solution for inlining links at the moment. And I'm not sure I want one. I do have a strong distaste for links to Wikipedia. (Now that I think about it, there is a strong paradigm in people's mind that squeak.org should be a wiki. I don't see it that way.)

And please remember, I'm a volunteer. It's important to allow me to feel I own part of the process. I elect to own presentation and not content. Not entirely, but some. And there's value in this, because somebody needs to see the whole. People have been making comments that would warp the overall look of the site. And some comments show people haven't noticed their changes have already happened or if something they want already exits somewhere else on the site.

There's lots of time to figure these things out. A lot has improved in two weeks.

Thank You,
Chris

squeak.org issues:
image shouldn’t run as root
resource links are to chriscunnington.com
 zip resources for faster download
- use minified versions of files
- get that 404 image (broken paper showing a code browser) out of my email Archive and install
- check multi platform layouts (i.e. cell phone, tablet)