[Newbies] Restrict access to objects and methods

abc523 at juno.com abc523 at juno.com
Sat Dec 30 16:11:50 UTC 2006

I just started looking at Squeak and SmallTalk last night and I'm
already getting hooked!  I have a best of both worlds question.  The
ability to access and edit any method or abject all using SmallTalk is
great, but is there any way to restrict a program so it can only access
certain objects?

What I'm looking for is a way to allow code to be compiled and run in
Squeak, but keep that program from being able to make or save changes
to the world, access the host (Windows/Linux, etc) file system, etc.

My first impression is that this goes against the grain of Squeak's
basic architecture and premise, but I'm wondering if maybe there's some
way to set up a world inside a world or something like that. Would it
be possible to create an object that serves as a virtual world for a
program to run in?  A program running in this setup could have access
to all or most of the same classes as a program in the real world, but
it could only access the virtual-world object, it's children and maybe
an explicit subset of real world objects as defined by the
virtual-world object.

Thanks!